You can find me online at...

Friday, February 14, 2014

Little Pink Paper Hearts

Sometimes it's the simple endeavors we make on Valentine's Day that count the most. Creative gestures that we may think silly can often speak volumes to another and generate lasting memories of kindness and care.

 As children, we all remember passing out Valentine’s Day cards at school. Usually, they were the homemade kind crafted from construction paper and were glued to various sizes of lace doilies. We’ve come a long way from the elementary ways of expressing affection or love, but our hearts haven’t changed. Many of us still carry the influence of youth under our adult veneer and relish being remembered.

 This Valentine's Day I decided I would do Valentine’s Day acts of kindness. Along with creating special Valentine's Day cards on my compute to send to my family, I also made little pink paper hearts to hand out strangers and friends with uplifting sentiments written on the front.
            
Valentine’s Day is all about love, cupids, hearts, flowers, candy and cards. I’ve read that over one billion of them are exchanged each year. Also, that eighty percent of Valentine’s Day cards are purchased for relatives. And, that Hallmark has over 1,300 different cards designed specifically for Valentine’s Day.

 Along with the cards sent and received, we know romantic dinners will be enjoyed in restaurants and flowers will be delivered from florists this Valentine’s Day. That might make you think that lovers receive the most cards. I've read that isn't the case. Teachers receive the most cards followed by children, mothers, wives, and then sweethearts.

There are so many ways to extend love and bring a smile to a face.  My sister, Leslie’s birthday is on Valentine’s Day. It brought me great joy when I dropped the special birthday Valentine’s Day I created for her into the mail box. Feeling happy about the card and mailing it even brought a smile to my face.

With all the revenue companies receive from the commercialization of Valentine’s Day, it’s the heartfelt gifts that speak to my heart the most. Mine sit in my box of treasures. They are the ones from my children. I can still envision their little faces with a shy smile and arms outstretched with their gift so earnestly made from nimble fingers yet presented with such pride. 

Maybe my inspiration for passing out little pink paper hearts comes from my own children’s affection and admiration. I kind of think there is a connection. As a matter of fact, I am sure of it!
   
I hope you will share my blog with your friends and come back and visit to see what’s new.

Wednesday, February 19, Jennifer Botkin Phillips, will be speaking at "Young at Heart" senior luncheon at Montvale Evangelical Free Church, 141 West Grand Ave., Montvale, NJ 07645. 
For reservations call Karen at 201.391.6233. A $6 donation is suggested.  Topic: "Life on the edge including a kidney transplant".

2 comments:

Kathy Collard Miller said...

Jen, I know you sometimes say you don't do alot but I"m always amazed that so many of the things you do are acts of kindness. I admire you! You DO do a lot!

Jennifer Botkin Phillips said...

Oh, Kathy, thank you so much! You've encouraged me:-). Bless you! You've been a great model!