You can find me online at...

Monday, February 28, 2011

Speaking out isn’t always best; being mindful of our words

Melissa Leo’s spirited speech at last night’s 82nd Academy Awards that included the use of slang was a verbal faux pas of significant magnitude. As Whoopie Goldlberg alluded to while hosting The View this morning, things get said and just come out of the mouth when an actor is presented with The Oscar. She meant words like the unscrupulous word that rolled off Ms. Leo’s lips that ABC bleeped out because of the seven second delay.

As the winner of Best Supporting Actress for her role in The Fighter, Ms. Leo arrived looking every bit a star. Glamorous in a stunning eyelet dress with a high scalloped neckline that framed her face, her hair in a soft up do, and with understated make up, she walked down the red carpet exuding controlled exuberance.

But, using discourteous language to speak out and make a point can backfire as it did with Ms. Leo.

I feel that Ms. Leo’s lack of etiquette in her acceptance speech took something from me. I look for role models in society today. People who strive to be examples of decency and integrity and people who stand honorably are people that I admire. While it was a fleeting remark and one she has apologized for, which took humility, when I think of Ms. Leo now, I will be reminded of her moment when the eyes of millions of people were upon her and she allowed her speech to dim her golden star.

You may be thinking tinseltown isn't a place that breeds people who stand honorably. Maybe not, but I think if we look we will find people who do.

Be the first to leave your comments below. I always appreciate your feedback and hearing of your comments, your requests, and/or any concerns you might have.

No comments: