You can find me online at...

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The honor of joy

Joy might not be something you readily associate with speaking up for yourself but it’s that very emotion that can propel your words in a positive manner. At best, joy is contagious. How powerful is that! You might even get off easy with a little joy because it can change those around you just by your ambiance.

Helen Keller writes in Resolve to Keep Happy. “Joy is the holy fire that keeps our purpose warm and our intelligence aglow. Work without joy shall be as nothing. Resolve to keep happy, and your joy and you shall form an invincible host against difficulties.”

When joy bubbles up inside and courses throughout our body, endorphins are released. They cultivate the feel good element that spurs you to shine. I once read that simple pleasures can lead to the release of endorphins. How exciting that a walk in the woods with a friend or loved one, spotting a cardinal, or even from holding a child or a grand baby can fill you with joy. Make today special for not only finding the joy in your circumference but for spreading your happiness.

1 comment:

Monica Gill said...

Jennifer! This is wonderful and just what I needed to hit my "refresh" button! As a high school teacher it is sometimes hard to maintain your energy- especially with challenging and unmotivated kids! But just recently I had a turning point, and so shifted my attitude in classes that my students actually noticed and mentioned it! I just realized from your post, that what I was now entering the classroom with each day was indeed JOY.... but like all, in my humanness, I get weary sometimes… and as the semester draws to a close and some kids are falling short, I have to remember to bring JOY to them- even in their failures they need me, as their teacher, to love them and hopefully in entering each class with them in the ambiance of JOY they too will catch the bug!!!
Thanks Jennifer!
Monica