You can find me online at...

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Nonverbal language

You might think that speaking up for yourself always means vocalizing. Not necessarily. Please don’t misunderstand. Saying the words one needs to speak in terms of honoring yourself and benefiting others wellbeing continues to be my stand. But, speaking up for yourself is as much about how your carry yourself as it is the words you communicate.

Are you a person who constantly follows the crowd with no thought of what’s right for you?

Growing up we all heard our mother say, “just because Susie jumped over the cliff doesn’t mean you have to do it too? Now that we’re grown, we’ve all learned how to think for ourselves. Well, most of us have anyway. Some people are still lax when it comes to managing their own lives or, if they are like me, are still in process.

I can still hear the echo of my mother’s words in her emphasized voice, “Use that head of yours for something besides a hat rack”. Finally, now in my womanhood of many years and the on the job training I’ve thus far survived called “life”, I hope that I’m making mom proud.

Putting those shoulders back, keeping your head up, and keeping your eyes alert is making the most of your natural assets that are always available at your beck and call. Try it. The benefit to your self-esteem and the impact on your social circle can be life enhancing. Let me know what happens.

Until next time… Top Blonde Speaking Up!

1 comment:

Leona Choy said...

Bravo, Jennifer! I love your new format, most attractive and reader-friendly. Don't forget your water bottle next time--department stores sell really classy ones if you want to be chic.
Your birthday twin,
L'Oreal 7 1/2A